"Facebook is Dead" - Social Media Marketing Predictions for 2011
Facebook is a nice Social Media toy! Facebook is not very nice! Facebook is disruptive! Facebook is annoying! Strong remarks huh!
The problem with Facebook is that it is not a tool that lets you engage with clients or potential clients. A good social media marketing tool allows for proactive and real engagement with people.
So what is good about Facebook. I call it the law of large numbers. With over 500 million users and 53% of them active, I look at Facebook as being able to "touch" large numbers of users.
Engagement though, is another issue. Facebook does not lend itself to practical engagement, or establishing a on-on-one relationship with potential clients. Which is what you want to do with a practical social media marketing tool.
So what are the Top 5 Social Media Marketing tools you should use, other than Facebook, that will have an impact on your business in 2011? Lets count them down:
5. Foursquare. Although it is not suitable for all types of businesses, Foursquare has done it's homework and has become a tool for businesses that are frequented by clients. It is an free, high-impact, engaging tool that can bring in new clients and keep them coming back.
4. YouTube.com and Video. Youtube and other video sites such as Metacafe get indexed on Google and other search engines faster than your web site. You must have a Youtube video chanel and add at least one video per month. Videos should be no more than 4-5 minutes long and the description and tags should have relevant keywords to your business.
3. MerchantCircle.com. One of the best local directories on the web, other thatn Google Places, Merchant Circle allows you to list your business for local searches, connect to other local businesses and invite your friends and business contacts. Merchant Circle is listed on Google search engine result pages often. You must be on Merchant Circle in order to be more competitive in your local market area.
2. PRLog.org. Social media press releases are the best kept secret in social media. A posting on PRLog will get indexed very quickly. Social media press releases are free and easy to send. They are one of the most effective ways to get your business showing on Google.
1. LinkedIn.com. Amazingly, I find many professionals are not on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is one of the most professional and useful social media sites. I rank it well above Facebook as a marketing tool for your business. LinkedIn has two very practical tools for proactively marketing your business, Groups and Answers. These tools if properly used will dramatically increase your engagement with potential clients. LinkedIn is a must for any professional.
By utilizing these 5 tools correctly you will dramatically increase traffic to your web site and engage potential clients, making 2011 a profitable year for your business.
Manny Sarmiento - New Media, New Marketing, Inc.